Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Parents Weekend"

The topic of this post is not my own, but I thought it was very amusing, and deserved my mulling.

Yesterday was a home football game in Tallahassee, so my husband and I made a daytrip of it, to watch the Seminoles take on the Virginia Tech Hokies. The game was good, although there were some strange calls ("illegal snap" comes to mind, for one), and no huge plays. Both Ponder and Richardson had some playtime, and I'm proud to say that our defense forced VTech to use their third-string quarterback, as they injured the other two.

This was my seventh Parents Weekend in Tallahassee, although two slipped by without causing me much notice. At Florida State, Parents Weekend is marked by a circus show, a big football game, a BBQ lunch on the Green, and some sort of philanthropy event. Of course, fraternities and sororities have all sorts of activities going on, especially for their legacies, but that's besides the point. To someone coming into town for the game who did NOT know that it was Parents Weekend, the most noticeable difference: girls' attire.

Granted, it was a sunny 71 degrees out at 2:30 in the afternoon yesterday, but the throngs of young ladies walking across campus and meandering around the stadium were dressed very differently than they had in weekend home games past. There were no short skirts and midriff-revealing tops on every fifth girl you passed. No deep-cut v-necks and re-designed t-shirts with rips, tears, and knots. No mesh tank tops with scanty lingerie underneath. In fact, many of the girls wore polo shirts, dresses, and khaki pants this week. My husband noticed the odd aura of outfits first, and we were both puzzled as to what was going on. Haha, turns out all the little girls and boys were just being on their best behavior in front of and Mommy and Daddy. It makes me laugh, and I love it.

But at the same time, doesn't it make you laugh to consider that a typical outfit to see at a home game is (lefts), and on Parents Weekend it turns into (rights)? Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment