Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Political Recruitment

Both of the major political parties have tried exactly once each to win me over for voting purposes in this year's Presidential Election. But they've tried in quite different ways, and that amuses me.

Yesterday, around 5pm, the doorbell rang. I assumed it would be FedEx, as they had already visited once that morning, and we're almost always expecting something. But instead it was a gentleman in his fifties, greeting me with "good afternoon madam, I am here campaigning on behalf of Barack Obama." He had my name printed on his sheet, and asked if my household would be voting Democrat or Republican in the election. I kindly informed him, "we have decided not to disclose our voting preferences to anyone." He seemed shocked, and after a moment replied, "so you're undecided then." I said "sure, put that down." He handed me a short and useless handout, and thanked me for my time.

Two weeks ago, the Republicans tried to win me over, via the internet, and through Sara Palin. I'm a big fan of Twitter (check it out at twitter.com), and I was surprised to find that "SaraPalinPalooza" was following me one afternoon. I took a glance at the profile and tweets, and promptly decided that I would not prefer to have this group reading my status updates each time I post them. It appeared that they looked at what people were posting about, and matched Pain/McCain's stances with yours to make it seem that you were on the same wavelength. So I blocked them completely.

With the election now four weeks away, I wonder if any other attempts will be made. More importantly, I'm interested in the method in which they'll appear...

No comments:

Post a Comment