Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fun with Words

One of my greatest hidden talents is knowing random (and often useless) facts. And since I was able to utilize one today, I figured I'd mention it here. Category: Words. (Today I explained to someone that a pangram was a sentence that included every letter of the alphabet)

Typewriter: the longest word you can type using just the first row of letters.

Reverberates and Stewardesses: twelve-letter words types with just the left hand

Authenticity: each letter alternates the hand that types it.

Verisimilitudes: a long word (not sure if it is the longest) written in alternating consonants and vowels

lillypilly: the longest word written with only letters that are ascenders, descenders, and dotted letters.


gyp: the shortest word written in all descenders.

Sequoia: a word that uses all five vowels.
Facetious: uses all five vowels in alphabetical order. ;)
Facetiously: even tags on the 'y' for super alphabetical order!

Uncomplimentary: a word that uses all five vowels in reverse-alphabetical order.

Spoonfeed and Sponged: two of the longest words with their letters arranged in reverse-alphabetical order.

Rhythms: a fairly long word that includes none of the major vowels.


Strengths: a nine-letter word (I think that's pretty long) with only one vowel.

Uncopyrightable: a fifteen-letter word where no letter repeats. I know there are a few words out there that fits that description, but this is the only one I can ever remember.

Catchphrase: has six consonants in a row! (can you beat that?)

couscous/COUSCOUS: visually, you can't tell the difference between the upper and lowercase versions. any longer ones you know of??

Ushers: contains 5 personal pronouns! (he, she, her, hers, us)

Finally, you have probably known that "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" is a pangram since you were ten. BUT, that sentence has 33 letters. you can do it in less with "Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow!" (29 letters)

Amaze me with your word trivia!

2 comments:

  1. I can challenge your "strengths" trivia fact with Schrumpf. Yes, yes it is only 8 letters, but if you talk about me AND Katie, then it is Schrumpfs. 9 letters, one vowel. And yes, proper names probably don't count but I always found our vowel-starved last name interesting.

    -Kelly

    PS- I love reading your blog. Not only do I find your writing very anjoyable, but I also like that you review places in Orlando for me so I have my own personal tour guide blog for when I visit home over winter break =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting point, Kelly. love it! and glad that you enjoy the blog.

    Nick, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this one, as I know your random fact collection is quite extensive. I appreciate the trivia, particularly "term of venery" as I've never heard that!

    ReplyDelete