Monday, April 13, 2009

Catching up

So I went several days without posting. And I did this consciously. When I was looking at the challenges of the 31DBBB, I got discouraged, thinking it wasn't worth it since nobody reads my blog anyway (as previously mentioned, I have Google Analytics). Well, tonight I got a link to feedburner (who manages my RSSing), and I was really surprised to find out how many subscribers I have. So while the analytics aren't doing all that great, I still have readers so I shouldn't give up. And so, I'm back and determined to make a great comeback! I'll start by doing the challenges I missed, and sometime Tuesday I'll do the post that should have come out today (which is a transition from the previous series to the next series). Thank you, readers, for making this possible.

Day 4: analyze a good blog in your niche. well, I'm new to my niche, technically. I'm going to use TV Squad. They cover shows in many categories, including Dramas, Comedies, Realities, Sci-Fis, American Idol, Retro Shows, and Others. It's hard to find anything they ignore because there is so much covered in their "other" section, like game shows, children's shows, talk shows, and the news. BUT, it does seem they don't cover reality family shows, like Little People, Big World and 18 Kids and Counting. Their voice/style is third person, and use lists and opinions. They posted 13 items today (7 yesterday, 6 the day before, and 17 the day before that), and are shooting for a beginning level audience. They focus mostly on current shows and what's going on in the immediate future. Readers seem to connect mostly with television specials and late-night shows, and finales. In comments, readers are asking mostly things of other commenters, who mention things not included in the entry, or agree/disagree with the post. Tool-wise, they're using the hell out of RSS and video clips, but not much else. The design of the site gives an impression of funness, but I would prefer to have a "view by date" sidebar, since they post so often and I don't want to scroll forever. I'm not sure about their advertising. They get 6k-12k hits each day, and 73% are from the US. I don't know what SEO is.

Day 5: Email a new reader. This one is kinda impossible for me. I personally know everyone who has ever commented on my blog, and so I know about them and their blog preferences to some extent already. It suggested an alternative would be to respond to comments made... which I have done already, too... The last alternative is to go comment on other blogs. I do this semi-regularly anyway.

Day 6: Read 27 blog entries and declare which is most useful and why. This one taught me about why I should use Flickr to get images rather than Google Image. Also, how to do a pillar article is a good thing to consider. Why people don't leave comments was also interesting, but not as helpful. 50 tips is also good, and I should consider thinking about many of them. So, my overall "most useful" goes to the 50 tips.

Day 7: Link to another blog. It gives examples of how to do this, and speedlinking would be my preferred method. I only read a few blogs in my genre, so here goes!

- Three days ago, TV Squad wrote about when ABC would finally air the last episodes of shows like Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money.
- Mark Blankenship, over at The Critical Condition, posted yesterday about the changes in The Office.
- Polite Dissent already has a review of the medical problems with tonight's House, MD episode.

okay, that catches things up! Day 8 will take place tomorrow, along with the regularly-scheduled TV post itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment